We would like to introduce the Unified Pirate Crew! The Crew is made up of students with and without disabilities who work together to help create a more inclusive and accepting world. Together, they will learn about disabilities, respect and leadership skills. The goal is to take the information and skills they learn and share them with the world. Involvement in Unified activities can start in elementary school and last a lifetime. We are proud to say that all three campuses in Eula ISD are enrolled as Unified Champion Schools. As of right now UPC is active on the secondary level with plans to expand to the Elementary level before the end of the school year.
There are three parts to being a Unified Champion School.
1. Inclusive Youth Leadership - They will work together to think up, plan and implement ways to help their school become more inclusive and accepting.
2. Unified Competitions and Activities - There are two different divisions that we will be competing in:
1. Unified Sports through Special Olympics Texas (follow SOTX rules)
2. Unified Interscholastic Sports through Special Olympics Texas in conjunction with UIL (follow both SOTX and UIL rules)
You could see them competing in any number of sports such as: Bocce, Bowling, Basketball, Track and Powerlifting.
3. Whole School Engagement: - Whole school engagement will consist of activities that are planned by the Unified Pirate Crew that involves, you guessed it, the whole school. Last month, the Unified Pirate Crew sponsored several fundraisers to help a family in need as a service project. They were able to raise over $1,500 in less than a week thanks to the compassion and giving hearts of the community of Eula.
Another aspect of the Unified Pirate Crew is fundraising. Their first fundraiser was on November 8th. They, in conjunction with the advanced theater class, performed the musical Tuck Everlasting.
Once UPC is financially self-sustaining for three years and meets the ten requirements, we can apply to become a National Banner School through Special Olympics North America. Qualifying will earn us a banner that we can proudly hang in our school.
The Unified Pirate Crew is sponsored by Ms. Kami Dodds who was a previous Unified Sponsor of a National Banner school for six years and Mr. Cody Baker who has competed as a Unified partner with SOTX. They are very passionate and excited to see what this group can do.
Be sure to follow our adventures on social media.
Facebook: Unified Pirate Crew